What Can a Post-Judgment Enforcement Do for Me?

Just because you received the judgment you sought after in a family law case, does not mean your former spouse will obey the order. As many of us know, people do not always do what they are told to do. Luckily, when it comes to family law matters, you can address your former spouse’s disobedience in court by filing for a motion to enforce a court order, which is also known as post-judgment enforcement. To increase your chances of success, make sure you obtain skilled legal counsel to guide you through this process.

What Can I Enforce?

From spousal support and child support orders to child custody orders, usually the judgment can be enforced in the aftermath of a family law case. When one party fails to follow a court order, it can create substantial emotional and financial hardship for a family, so a court will treat these matters with utmost importance.

Some of the most common post-judgment enforcement concerns include but are not limited to the following:

  • Enforcement of a child custody order
  • Enforcement of child support payments
  • Enforcement of property division
  • Enforcement of spousal support payments

Those who fail to pay spousal support or child support may face contempt orders and, in severe cases, might be subject to criminal prosecution. You can request the Missouri court to hold a co-parent in contempt for willfully refusing the other party visitation with their children. Courts generally believe the continued involvement of both parents to be in the best interests of a child. Therefore, if you are being denied precious time with your children, you might be granted extra visitation to make up for lost time. Denial of custody may be one of many factors the court may consider in a motion to modify custody.

If a contempt of court order is entered one possibility is that your former spouse may face jail time.

Other post-judgment enforcement may include but is not limited to:

  • Garnished wages
  • Seizure of property
  • Modify custody arrangement

Divorce is rarely easy for anyone, but when a former spouse creates a more difficult, contentious situation by withholding visitation or support payments, you do not have to accept this. You can politely raise the issue to your spouse, but if he or she continues to disobey court orders, do not hesitate to take legal action.

Reach Out to a Post-Judgment Enforcement Attorney

If your former spouse is refusing to obey a court order, you need to reach out to the skilled legal team at Galmiche Law Firm, P.C. for the knowledgeable assistance you deserve. Our attorney is backed by over 30 years of experience and a dedication to helping clients achieve their goals and protect their interests. You can rely on us to help ensure a judge’s court order is properly enforced.

Contact Galmiche Law Firm today at (636) 552-4841 to request a confidential and complimentary initial case review with our trusted and knowledgeable attorney to find out more about what we can do to assist you during this difficult time. Let our team be your voice in court.

Related Posts
  • 8 Tips for Co-Parenting Over the Holidays Read More
  • What Do I Do If My Ex Doesn’t Pay Their Child Support? Read More
  • How Is Child Support Calculated in Missouri in 2023? Read More