Change of Custody: Reasons to Modify a Child Custody Agreement

The custody agreement that might have initially worked after your divorce might not continue to work as time passes. Your life might undergo some changes that warrant a modification of this agreement, which the court will grant under certain circumstances. However, you might be wondering which reasons the court might consider in order to modify a child custody agreement. Generally, as is always the case with any matter related to children, the court will only grant a modification if it serves the best interests of the children.

Some reasons for modifying a child custody agreement include but are not limited to the following:

  • A parent is relocating: If either parent is relocating to a relatively far location, the court will consider modifying a child custody agreement. That said, they will examine several factors, such as why the parent is relocating, if the child’s life will be negatively disrupted, and if it is possible or practical to rework the current custody schedule.
  • The child is in danger: If the court determines that a child’s well-being is in danger, the court will modify the custody agreement if there is a substantial amount of evidence. To determine if the child’s well-being is at risk, the court will examine including but not limited to if he or she has an unwillingness to stay in the parent’s home, if the dangers are immediate, or if there domestic violence in the parent’s home.
  • Your co-parent continuously ignores the custody schedule: Co-parents must obey the custody schedule that is in place. In the event that one parent is not cooperating, the court might consider changing the custody arrangement. The court will consider a vast range of factors, including the reasons as to why the visitation schedule is not being followed.

Parents who wish to change a current child custody agreement should always try to first work out an agreement among themselves with their respective attorneys. This can save you time and the hassle of having to attend court, which can often be an adversarial process.

Speak to an Experienced Child Custody Attorney Today!

If you are in need of a modification to your current child custody agreement, you need to hire an experienced child custody attorney to assist you with your case. At Galmiche Law Firm, P.C., our divorce attorney has over 30 years of experience and will provide knowledgeable and compassionate legal guidance to help you try to achieve the results you are seeking.

Contact our law office today at (636) 552-4841 to schedule a confidential case review with our child custody attorney today.

Related Posts
  • What Papers Do I Need to File for Divorce? Read More
  • Who Determines the Custody Schedule After a Divorce? Read More
  • How Do I Change a Child Custody Schedule to Accommodate New Circumstances in Missouri? Read More