What is a Blended Family?
When parents have children from a previous relationship and everyone comes together as a family unit, this is known as a blended family. Blended families, or stepfamilies, are becoming more common these days as divorced parents combine to create new families. Oftentimes, these combined units encounter their own unique difficulties and reap many benefits from their new family structure. Continue reading to learn more about blended families.
Understanding Blended Families
Blended families may face a variety of obstacles, but many often successfully overcome them and become stronger as a result.
Below is a list of some of the complex issues you may face:
- Differing family values and conflicting responsibilities for each family member regarding acceptable behavior and expectations.
- Issues with communicating how to jointly raise the children.
- Conflicts between the new stepparent and the other biological parent.
There are many resources available to blended families, such as counseling services, programs and books.
Of course, blended families also have a lot of benefits, which include:
- Kids have two, possibly more, parents who care for them.
- There is typically more emotional and financial support available for everyone in the family.
- All members of the family will learn to appreciate differences and diversity.
- New siblings may connect and create supportive bonds with each other.
- The new family structure may be more peaceful, stable and healthier than their previous one.
Taking it Slow
After going through a divorce, you may be tempted to quickly remarry and rebuild a new life. However, you should take time and plan your blended family, allowing everyone the opportunity to adjust to one another. You and your partner should also discuss how you plan to raise your children together, which will create a smoother transition for everyone involved. The better you plan your future, the stronger your family will be.
Talk to Our Compassionate Family Law Team About Your Case Today!
At Galmiche Law Firm, P.C., our family law team is committed to providing strong legal support and knowledgeable advice on behalf of every client who seeks our help. Our attorneys have been providing exceptional representation for more than 40 years with successful results. You can feel confident in our team’s ability to obtain the best possible outcome for your circumstances.
Reach out to our law office today at (636) 552-4841 to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys to get started on your family law case.