How to Navigate an Emotionally Charged Divorce
Divorce is a major life-altering event and a lot of feelings can arise during the process. You may feel anger, fear, sadness, guilt, hurt, or a combination of these emotions as you navigate this difficult experience. How well you manage your emotions will make a difference in whether your split turns ugly or remains relatively amicable.
Getting Through an Emotional Divorce
You will not be able to cope with your feelings if you cannot admit they exist in the first place, so awareness is key to navigating a particularly emotional divorce. Try to identify what you are feeling and develop healthy coping mechanisms to address them. You should also be wary of unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as excessive alcohol consumption, overspending, a shorter temper, and withdrawal.
The following tips can help you soothe your emotional wounds:
- Stay active by exercising, dancing, or stretching.
- Stimulate your senses by listening to music, tasting new flavors, exploring nature, or getting a massage.
- Take up a new hobby, write in a journal, or confide in a friend or mental health professional.
During the divorce process, negative thoughts have a way of altering our perceptions. Challenge these thoughts by distinguishing what is under your control and what is out of your control. It is okay to let go and stop fighting against what you cannot change.
Instead of indulging in negative thinking, consider the following positive thoughts:
- Remind yourself of your strengths.
- Think of other difficult events you survived and moved past.
- Keep in mind that these feelings and negative thoughts will not last forever.
- Remember that you have experienced pain before and that it is sometimes a natural part of life.
Lastly, do not forget all that you have to be grateful for in your life. You may have family, children, friends, passions, or a career that you cherish, so take inventory of it all as you move toward this new chapter in your life.
Schedule a Free Case Review with an Experienced Divorce Attorney Today!
If you are ending your marriage, the compassionate and knowledgeable family law team at Galmiche Law Firm, P.C. can provide the guidance you need. With more than 35 years of experience on our side, you can feel confident in our ability to help you navigate the complexities of your divorce.
Reach out to our law firm today at (636) 552-4841 to request a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys to get started on your case.